There are always those unscrupulous or social deviants out there who, in any crisis, attempt to take advantage of people. These people are the absolute scum of the earth!
(Wait! Did I say that out loud?)
JUST SO YOU KNOW:
• Medicare will never contact you for your Medicare number or other personal information unless you’ve given them permission in advance.
• Medicare will never call you to sell you anything.
• You may get calls from people promising you things if you give them a Medicare number. Don’t do it.
• Medicare will never visit you at your home.
• Medicare can’t enroll you over the phone unless you called first. *
If someone knocks on your door or calls you on the phone stating they are from the government or Social Security, Medicare, IRS, etc., do not give them any personal information! Government agencies will, in almost every circumstance, send you a letter to your address explaining what you need to do if there is a problem.
The government already has your information, the government gave you your Medicare ID number.
Government agencies have no reason to call you unless “you” call them first! So, if you get a call with someone offering you free medical equipment, discount medical something or other, and all they need is your Medicare ID number, hang up the phone! It’s either a sales call or a scammer!
Sometimes people will call and act like they are from your doctor’s office and just need to get your insurance information. You already did that on your last visit to the doctor’s office. Why do they need it again? Calmly reply that you will bring the information with you on your next visit.
Folks, I can’t explain this to you in any other way. Do not give out your personal information to strangers.